Request a callback

Want to talk about your next construction project, got a question about lead or just need to talk to one of our office staff… Fill in this form, and we’ll ring you back today.

  • We will use the information provided here to only respond to your enquiry. For further information on how we use your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Q&A with Warren Goodall

Ionising Radiation Shielding with Warren Goodall, Business Development Manager, Midland Lead Healthcare

In this blog Warren gives guidance to contractors who may be wondering what affect the new changes will have on the way they work:

Q. What do you believe to be the most significant change under the new legislation? 

New Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017 (IRR17) will come into force on 1 January 2018 and will replace the existing regulations (IRR99). This is a result of the EU Basic Safety Standards Directive (BSSD) for radiological protection being implemented. 

One of the biggest changes is how employers tell HSE about their work with ionising radiation. Under the current regulations, they must notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) about their work with ionising radiation. Under IRR17, they will need to apply to: notify, register or get consent – and they may need more than one. 

They will need to apply even if they have previously notified the HSE that they work with ionising radiation. If they’ve previously notified the HSE they must apply by 5 February 2018 

Q. How is the new legislation going to affect building contractors working within healthcare? 

Whilst there is nothing that will directly affect the practical construction of shielding in the Healthcare sector, the contractual relationship that contractors have with the employer may require that the contractor be aware of the responsibilities of the employer for all elements of IRR17. This will ensure that once construction commences the relevant information has been passed on to the relevant bodies i.e. HSE. 

Q. What should contractors and specialist sub-contractors be doing in preparation for the change? 

Visiting the HSE website would be the place to start as they have now issued a draft Approved Code of Practice (ACOP). This covers the regulations together with guidance for compliance with the regulations. 

Information on the new regulations can be found at the HSE website at: The draft ACOP can be found at: