Our lead underlay is a non-woven polyester felt underlay specially designed for lead roofing work.
Why do we recommend using lead underlay?
There are five main reasons:
- Lead underlay gives you a smooth, even surface to work on, so you don’t have to worry about exposed nail heads, rough edges or wood knots.
- Lead underlay isolates the lead sheet from the substrate – essentially it reduces the drag between the two and allows for thermal movement.
- Lead underlay protects against corrosion from stone or concrete and eliminates the potential damage caused by timber and roof condensation.
- Underlay will reduce the risk of trapped moisture between lead and substrate, helping your lead to stay corrosion free.
- Lead underlay will stop the lead from sagging or puncturing.
Easy to work with
Our underlay is supplied in rolls of 25m x 1m.You’ll find it very easy to work with. The underlay doesn’t rot. And it doesn’t adhere to the lead. But it does make a wonderfully smooth surface to lay the lead sheet on. If there are any variations or imperfections in the roof deck, the lead underlay will help protect against them.
If you’re working on traditional timber boards, the underlay helps prevent ridges and fractures wherever the lead rides over the edges.
Recommending lead underlay to your clients
If you’re working on behalf of a client, you might want to suggest to them why lead underlay is such a good investment. We think the fact that it can preserve the lead and help to prolong its life-span is the biggest factor for most clients.
If you are recommending a type of lead underlay, try to make sure your client chooses one that won’t be affected by heat – particularly in cases where welding will be taking place.
It’s important to choose a lead underlay with care.
- The wrong type of underlay can cause buckling and splitting.
- In hot weather, some materials with a bituminous surface can become sticky – then, if the lead bonds to the substrate it could restrict normal thermal movement.
Lead underlay advice
If you or your clients need any more advice, we’re here. Whether you’d like to find out more about our lead underlay, or make an order, give us a call on +44 (0) 1283 224 555. We look forward to hearing from you.