We’re pleased to announce that, following a recent audit with the BSI, Midland Lead has successfully re-certified for BS OHSAS 18001 – a framework for a management system that helps organisations achieve the best possible working conditions and workplace health and safety.
Thanks to the dedication and hard work of the Midland Lead H&S team, we were able to demonstrate improvements across five key areas – people, information and supervision, plant and equipment, environment and management. Here are just a few of the highlights over the past three years:
- People: Having run an Employee Engagement Programme in 2015/16, we put focus groups, dedicated team leaders and daily operations, production and management meetings in place to improve communications.
- Information and supervision: From 2016 onwards, we’ve implemented a quarterly company meeting for all to attend, seeing our Managing Director share news on Midland Lead’s recent successes and plans for the future.
- Plant and equipment: In 2015/16, we invested in a new fleet of FLTs, fitted reversing cameras to our 12T Linde forklifts to improve vision, and implemented improvements to the Flat Sheet Line and Line 4 following PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) assessments conducted by a third party provider.
- Environment: Throughout the past three years, we’ve invested £125k into the refurbishment of new welfare facilities, designed in accordance with CLAW (Control of Lead at Work) Regulations, and have made significant improvements across housekeeping and lighting.
- Management: In 2015, the management team launched Midland Lead 2020, in a bid to create a road map for the future of Midland Lead. This has involved improving products, services, HR, employee training and development, health, safety and the environment.
With further plans for future improvements underway, BSI’s auditors were happy to recommended Midland Lead for a new certificate for the next three years, which is fantastic news for the company and our customers.