Lead products used:
Midland Lead’s traditional sandcast lead code 7 and 8, copper nails and copper strip.
Michael Hannam - Hannam and Sons
Peter Laurie, Chamberlain to The Bridge Trust, about the project:
“Hannams & Sons have completed the project on time and on budget and the Trust are confident that the roof will serve for many years. The only regret is that only those involved in the project know how much was involved and how well it was executed; from the street below almost nothing is visible, sadly!”
Bridge Buildings is one of the most important and imposing properties in the market town of Barnstaple. The Grade II listed property stands on the corner of the Strand and Square and is arranged as a broad curved building – eye-catching solid rendered stone façade with stone balustrades – housing restaurants and shops at street level, with flats and offices on the higher levels. Bridge Buildings has a multi-pitched roof with a complex water management structure.
The Bridge Trust Charity, responsible for the maintenance of this landmark property, commissioned Hannam & Sons to carry out an extensive roofing repair project. One of the main challenges of the Bridge Buildings project was the lead work itself. The falls of the existing valley had to be reversed in the opposite direction and drain through the main roof space to the opposite side of the building by means of a lead-lined box gutter with sump – making levels a crucial part of this re-construction.
The lead work involved the following procedures:
- Stripping out the defective lead work and timber construction
- Reconstruct the new required falls
- Reducing the bays to conform to current Code of Practice
Lead fixing work methods also included:
- Back gutters and front aprons for main chimney stacks
- Ridge saddles, pitched valley gutters, tapered gutters
- Making lead pipe liners to pass through the main wall and drain into the main valley gutter
- Lead cover flashings
- On completion of work, coating with patination oil
All aspects of the project were carried out in-house by Hannam & Sons, including carpentry construction to support the lead valley work.
For more info, contact:
- Michael Hannam, Hannam & Sons
- t: 01271 864 505
- e: Hannamandsons@hotmail.co.uk
Architects & specifiers:
- Jonathan Rhind Architects Ltd